Top five things to do on the Gold Coast on student budget
Updated: Jun 22, 2018
Are you on a student budget and looking for fun things to do on the Gold Coast? We've got you covered with five awesome Gold Coast activities that won't stretch your budget but will be a guaranteed good time!
1. Okay it's an obvious one, but seriously how good are Gold Coast beaches! Golden sand, perfect waves, warm water...what's not to love! With beaches stretching the length of the Gold Coast you're spoilt for choice! So pack a picnic and gather some friends and spend the day at the beach...the best bit? It's free...gloriously FREE!
2. All this talk about beaches brings us to a sport that is basically a Gold Coast icon...surfing! Surfing is THE sport on the Gold Coast and with some of the world's best waves - think D-bah, Burleigh Point, Snapper Rocks - surfing is a must do/try/watch on the Gold Coast! So whether you're a complete beginner or think you should be on the world tour, get amongst it and take advantage of the Gold Coast's awesome waves! Don't have a board? Pick up a cheap deal on Gumtree or hire one for a small cost. It's an awesome way to spend the day and you'll have so much fun!
“...with some of the world's best waves - think D-bah, Burleigh Point, Snapper Rocks - surfing is a must do/try/watch on the Gold Coast!”
3. The Gold Coast is home to some amazing natural attractions you HAVE to explore! Currumbin Rock Pools, Springbrook National Park, Mount Warning, Mount Tambourine, Burleigh Heads National Park. Why not take yourself exploring for the day and head to one of these awesome spots! All these places offer great hiking trails where you'll come across beautiful views and amazing natural features like waterfalls and rock pools. And you know it...the best part is it is FREE!
4. Markets! There are so many markets on the Gold Coast! The Surfers Paradise Beachfront Markets on Wednesday, Friday and Sunday nights, the Carrara Markets on Saturdays and Sundays, the Village Markets every first and third Sunday at Burleigh Heads and every fourth Sunday at Paradise Point, and my absolute favourite, the Miami Marketta. The Marketta is held every Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday night and features arts, crafts, stalls, live music, delicious street food and drink, and an awesome vibe that is not to be missed! Gather a group of friends and make an evening of it!
5. The Gold Coast is awesome, but we are also just a short trip away from some other pretty amazing places. Including that world famous surf town, Byron Bay. Only an hour south of the Gold Coast, Byron Bay is the perfect place to road trip to, and is easy to do on a budget. Stay at one of the many friendly backpackers or pitch a tent at one of the camping grounds, and spend a weekend exploring Byron's gorgeous beaches, surfing, and checking out the cool little hippie town. As the sun sets enjoy a few pints at the famous Beach Hotel and then head to Cheeky Monkeys for a cheeky dance on the tables. There's nothing like a road trip for fun times and good memories!
So what are you waiting for? The Gold Coast is one of the best places to be a student, so get out there, explore, and enjoy!